Oct 23, 2009

Our journey continues...

(photo taken by Taylee!)

Exactly one year ago today we embarked on a new journey. A journey that was new for us and very scary. One in which we felt very alone. One year ago today marks the day that we found out that our 6 month old baby boy was diagnosed with Down syndrome. I have been pondering for the past few weeks about what I would write in this post. My mind is going a million different directions, and I'm not sure I can put it all into words. We were given a gift, a very amazing gift that I could have never imagined wanting... but am forever grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing us with! I still don't feel like I deserve such a beautiful spirit in my home, but I love him more than words can express. He was put on this earth to teach me, my family, and all those whom he comes in contact with, the beautiful things in life. I look at the world through a different set of eyes now. I appreciate a slower paced life and get excited over the small things. He has such a beautiful gift of lifting spirits and making people smile. We are often told that his smile brightens the room. I am blessed to feel that every day! His little hands have touched so many hearts. We are still aware of the many challenges that lie ahead, but we will be all the better for it. Taking this journey as a family is exciting... and Justin will show us the way! I am so grateful for the unconditional love that his sisters show him. He can feel it. It is beautiful! He gives me and Tyler an amazing amount of comfort when we feel alone in this world. His light leads us through dark times. Taking this journey alone would be very discouraging and lonely. I am extremely grateful for wonderful family and friends. We have found fantastic support from many people who were once strangers. I am loving this journey! It has been amazing! Justin has grown so much in this short amount of time, but I believe I have grown even more. We have so much faith in our little boy. I know that he can make a difference in this world, just by being him!

18 comments:

Jackie said...

Okay, I shouldn't be crying on a Friday night. But I feel very lucky and blessed to have Justin in our family. He definitely lights up any room he's in and he is a great reminder to me of what I need to become. Love you guys!

I'm Mindy. said...

Emily...that was beautifully written!! I really cant add any comment to that!! Thanks for letting us be touched by your sweet angel!

The Lehnick Family said...

We just love Justin, and you and your family as well! AND I have only had a chance to meet you in person ONCE! But I too feel so blessed to have you as one of our closest friends on the same journey! LOVE this journey as well...What a blessing Justin is and can't wait to continue our amazing friendships we have all encountered on the journey! Thanks for sharing...such a touching post!

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

Oh, that picture is ADORABLE! What a well written post, what an amazing blessing to have Justin in your family. We love him and are so happy to know him, and your family!

Anonymous said...

You are right...his smile does light the room. I am so glad we get to embark on this journey together...strangers only a few months ago, now dear friend. I am so grateful for our journey, paralleled to some of the best people I have ever know. Justin is a gift, to us all!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful Emily, now you have made me cry too. Justin is a ball of light, that danced into your lives. I'm glad to be on this journey with you!!

Lacey said...

Isn't it amazing how one little person can do all that? But they do, plus he is so stinking cute too.

Alan Anderson said...

Beautiful post about an amazing little guy! So true about how lucky we are to have these little kids in our lives. We truly are the lucky ones!

Lund7 said...

What a beautiful post! You put in to words what I often think and feel inside. Ours kids are so special!

Tausha said...

Thanks for your beautiful post. You are right in all that you said, they light up a room and have touched so many. Sometimes we feel alone as well but are so grateful for families like yours who understand what we are going through and understand the ups and down we go through. Justin is so lucky to have you as his Mom.

Kim said...

That was absolutely beautiful! I feel the same way with our little angel. I always have a hard time putting into words how I feel. She brightens our every day! Your Justin is such a cutie!

Jeana Bonner said...

That was just awesome. You're little guy is sooo cute and such a joy. I always have to smile when I see his pictures. He has a great family too! Can't wait till we can come to a get together.

Dawn and Dale said...

What a beautiful post for your precious boy. Thank you for your blog and honesty! It's been so wonderful to get to "know" your family through here! Blessings!

jodi kay said...

Perfect! Just perfect!

my family said...

Amen! well said

Meghann said...

I just want to say thank you for sharing this journey. When I step out of our protected home I worry about what the future holds and you always share the most positive things. I'm especially grateful to see how much you girls love Justin.

NatRat said...

What a great post. Thanks so much for sharing Emily.

Mandy said...

We are ALL lucky to know Justin for sure! What a great message Emily! Thanks!