I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later. I am very used to people staring at Justin or whispering to their partner, "Did you see that boy? He totally has Down syndrome." But that's ok. I am a proud Mama. A VERY proud Mama. It's something I have gotten very used to. But the other day when we were out as a family, Justin was doing his DARLING wave. He will wave to everyone... and he won't stop until you wave back. He is persistent. Well, he was waving frantically at this young woman. She would stare at him and look at her friends and laugh. (and it wasn't a nice laugh. It was a... oh my gosh I am totally not waving to HIM laugh.) She was NOT going to wave back. I was the only one who could see the situation. So I asked Tyler to grab him. I didn't need or want to see anymore of their actions. As soon as Justin was out of her sight, she says to her friends, "TOTALLY has Down syndrome... Hahahaha!" Tyler could see the look in my eyes. Luckily my girls didn't notice what was going on. We were having such a wonderful night out as a family and I didn't want to cause a scene. I chose to leave it alone. But I'm not going to lie... it hurts. I guess I am writing this post because we need to educate our family and friends to PLEASE treat our children and other people who are differently abled like you would treat anyone else. I'm not asking for much. Just a simple smile or wave back is all I ask...
1 day ago







18 comments:
I know that pain all too well and I honestly think the hardest part is worrying about the other siblings noticing. Morgan is their superstar and they wouldn't have understood. I had something similar when Ryan was in 1st grade. I was volunteering out in the hall at his school and had Morgan with me. She was 2 years old. Some of his classmates were staring at Morgan and then they asked me, "Why does your baby have an ugly face?" I started crying and wanted to go home right then. But the hardest part was Ryan didn't hear and kept asking me if I would take Morgan into his classroom so he could show her to all of his friends. The only words I could get out were, "today isn't a good day for me Ryan. Need to get going." Still makes me so sad. Sorry you had to go through that!
You just need to understand that those kind of people have not experienced the real joy that comes from REAL love. They are surface people and someday will learn a love lesson - in their own way. Justin is a beautiful boy and that is what I see, and you Emily are a gifted mother - there is a reason Justin is in your life,you are the perfect mom for such "Pure Sweetness"!
I think down syndrome children are SO adorable! I wave at every single one I see, and that saw before Justin. I don't think the people who make fun of these kids or any kids of similar nature realize that they are making fun of and mocking a perfect person. Kind of like those who mocked our Savior.
I know with my brother (which isn't the same) I had friends make fun of him and his little quarks.
I was taught that this would happen and that my friends or others just don't understand what is going on with him, and to NOT ignore it. To just tell them to knock it off, and that they will be judged for how they treat him to his face or behind his back. These spirits aren't here because they need to be tested, but because WE need to be tested. I don't think people realize that.
As much as my brother bugged me... I ALWAYS stood up for him even to some of my best friends, or who I thought were best friends. Teach your kids to defend him and to strike back to those who mock.
It hurts just reading this...I so wish everyone could see how beautiful and wonderful our children are...and accept them! People need to realize that the staring and the snickering and laughing is not ok, and it hurts so many people other than the one they are laughing at.
Oh Emily. My heart is broken right now for you. I'm sorry that people can be so, well, just ignorant. He is exactly as you say...pure sweetness. Such a perfect little angel. So proud of you for not making a bad situation worse, it would not have changed them, just would have hurt you more. I know I am blessed each time I see his sweet face and feel his spirit a million miles away. Big hugs...Carlye
I can't believe someone wouldn't wave back - at anyone - disability or not. Waving toddlers are irrestable - I thought.
P.S. My mom and my older brother were at my house yesterday and I was flipping over the month on the Ds calendar... my mom grabbed the calendar from me because she had to show off Justin to my brother! "because he's the cutest one in there!"
{no offense to all the other cuteness in there this year!}
Ok, I am totally bawling right now. I can't believe how mean and ignorant people can be. I guess I just don't understand it. How can you not feel so touched when you see sweet spirits waving at you? I'm so sorry! Justin, and all other Down Syndrome people, are nothing but Heavenly Father's angels here on Earth. You are so blessed to have him in your home. I would be honored! One day those girls will realize how dumb they once were. I admire you SO much for being able to walk away from the situation. Good for you! I am too aggressive of a personality. I would have beat their...well...butts! Justin is so incredibly precious and handsome. Too bad those girls deprived themselves of the blessing of his smile. Love you all!
This makes me cry. But then I tell myself that this is truly that girl's problem. I bet 95% of people would smile and love that he waved to them and wave right back. That is the response I see ALL the time with Ella. This girl is in the minority and I bet even some of her friends didn't agree with the way she acted. I know it is so hard not to take it personally but we can't. SHE is missing out on such a sweet spirit so her loss!! The funny thing is that, to me, Justin probably looks the least like he has Ds than most of our kids....and he is definitely one of the cutest!!!
oh Emily, I don't want this to ever happen to J again! My heart. and I'm so sorry for your heart.
sending waves and waves to Justin!!
i pray one day that girl regrets not waving. Good thing I'm not God..
Hugs
i would have had a word or two with her and her friends. he's adorable, you know it and we know it. that's all that matters xoxo
What totally ridiculous people could deny that sweet boy???!!??? I have to admit...I've not gone through this yet, but am sooooooo dreading the day when it happens. (((HUGS))) to you my sweet friend. Keep on advocating...
XOXO. Justin is absolutely PERFECT!!
Are you kidding...Why people? If only we could ALL be like Justin. This world would be a better place. I am so sorry you had to experience that. She really missed out on the pleasure that comes from Justins simple wave. Xoxo
I really dont see this when I go out with william but my post from today at ragan's lunch has me quite bothered. I know it does suck when our kids are not accepted I mean really our kids are so cute THEY(the people who are ugly) are the ones missing out.
Iam so sad to hear this and glad your girls didnt notice
Oh he is the cutest thing ever! I miss his hugs and the way he smells like cologne!
oh justin is the cutest boy ever...ds or no ds...billy and i were looking at your family pics the other day and billy just kept talking about how cute he was...and i totally agree! but you know that already. that girl is going to learn a very hard lesson one day...and then she will look back on that day with justin and regret it with all of her heart...but it will be too late for her to do anything about it...it's too bad.
I'm so sorry that happened Emily. That is so hard and it hurts! Most people are so sweet and kind but there are some who still don't understand how amazing and special ALL children are, no matter what their abilities or disabilities. Justin is the cutest little guy!!! I really don't know how you couldn't wave and smile when you see him!
I feel a little behind on your blog, but wanted to comment on this powerful post. What a hard situation! I can not imagine anyone not responding to such goodness! That goes to show something is missing in her life and that's sad. I'm so sorry this happened and hope these experiences are few and far between.
Post a Comment