Jul 13, 2010

Terrible Two's?!

When he smiles like this... he melts my heart. Luckily, he does this often! (whew) But another thing he's been doing more often than I'd like is everything that falls into the terrible two category. Let me break this down for you...
hitting
then hitting again
biting
then hitting after the bite
pulling hair, earrings, or anything that hangs
tantrums - and by that I mean big boy tantrums like I've never seen before
... and just to clarify - We do NOT let him get away with it. We have been telling him "We do NOT hit, bite, etc." He'll look at you all sweet (do a little fake cry) and whack you with the other hand. Ask my sisters, mother, friends, etc. They've experienced it. (so, so sorry)
Yes, I'm venting. If you want to read something more positive, scroll to the end. (Look, my posts can't always be sweet and happy. This is reality, right?)
I know he's 2 and all 2 year olds go through this. I also know that he's a 2 year old that can't communicate like most other 2 year olds can. He's also a 2 year old that can't do what the other 2 year old kids are doing (yet). I KNOW he's frustrated, but so am I. Any advice would surely help. I love my munchkin.... he's such a great blessing. I truly wouldn't trade him for the world. Just looking for some guidance!

He keeps us laughing. This is his new trick. Once in a while he'll bring his hands up and balance on his head. Funny boy!


We are very proud of him! He's been holding our hand and walking a lot lately. (one of our goals with Early Intervention) While we were in California, he decided to take a few steps. Yes, it was for something yummy... but a step is a step! I tried to upload the video... but blogger wouldn't let me. Some of you have seen it on facebook.
On a positive note... once in a while at the end of the day (when we are both totally exhausted) he'll fall asleep in my arms. There is NOTHING better than that!

17 comments:

Wendy G. Atkins said...

sorry he's being a little turd! he's totally adorable in the pool though! hah miss that boy. haven't seen you in forever it feels like!

Michelle said...

Well, I can't give any advice cause I've never been in that exact situation. All's I can say is that you have every right to vent and I'm glad you did. Blogs are supposed to be honest and realistic. Not fake and fairy tale. I've been criticized for some of my venting posts and it irritates me so bad. There's nothing wrong with honesty! I must say...you are an amazing Mommy and I think you're doing a fabulous job with Justin. Keep up the good work and great attitude! Love ya!

Derek, Kenzee and Gage said...

I had to laugh out loud about how he does his fake cry and then hits you with the other hand. This is ALL to familiar! We have been enforcing time-out lately and it actually has helped some! If he does something then we give him a warning and tell him he'll go to time out and he'll usually stop. Not all the time though, little stinkers!
What an adorable picture though, SO fun!

Meghann said...

Sounds really frustrating Emily! I have no advise (never had a 2 year old) but I do have great faith in you as a Mother! You're Awesome!

I'm Mindy. said...

Vent away...vent away.I can only imagine what you go through. I am so sorry that you and Justin have to experience this. Keep with it. You are amazing...you have and will see many more successes. xoxo

Lacey said...

Oh that naughty, naughty boy! I don't know that I could punish after seeing his cute face. I'd have to cover my eyes and so it!!

Kristin said...

Max bites all the time (has left bite marks on the neighbor and a kid at church), pulls hair, throws everything at your face, and now gets into the dog water! Ugh. Crap - we're starting the terrible two's a year early! At least he hasn't started hitting yet :)
Good luck!!!
Boys are so different than girls.

Denise said...

Oh sweet Justin.....what are you doing to your momma!! Although Ella hasn't done too much hitting yet, she does like to pull hair sometimes and continue doing things after she is told "NO". The problem is that she gets that cute smile after you tell her no and it is just so hard not to smile back which completely send the wrong message. Sigh...I don't know the answer either. And woo hoo on the steps big boy!!!

Kim said...

I completely understand the communication part. Mattie loves to pull hair and say "ou". I think she is finally understanding the no part. She will usually give us this look when she knows she is not suppose to do something. We haven't had temper tantrums "yet". You are being consistent and that is the most important part. It's probably just a phase.

I have to say he is such a cutie! I love his tennis shoes~adorable!

Jen said...

How can you be mad at a face like that? :) Love him!

Stephanie said...

OMGoodness! I love your honesty. I mean our kids are awesome but let's face it even Miss Em has a dark side. She is approaching two also. i think not being able to communicate as a "typical" two year old just adds to the frustration. I know it does for Em.

But as far as Em goes and most likely my friend Justin... they understand more than they are letting us know and are totally running with the terrible two image!! LOL

Good luck and squeeze the J man for me!! When he's not in as biting mood that is!

Carrie said...

Oh, I'm so not looking forward to that part of toddlerhood! No fabulous advice here--my boys went through a biting/hitting stage, but I think my mommy-brain has blocked it out so I can't remember how we handled it! Hang in there--you're doing great!

Cindy said...

Yep, Beth went through that phase. When you would slap her hand, she would slap you back! But, there's hope. Keep up the discipline and he'll learn from it.

ParkerMama said...

We are dealing with throwing. Parker loves to throw......everything! arrgh!


Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com
@ParkerMama on Twitter

Tausha said...

Okay, can I just say your post was about my Sam as well. He LOVES to pinch, pinch you neck and hard, it hurts!! He hits and pulls at everything. I get sooo nervous when someone holds him and they have glasses, oh my gosh watch out because in 2 seconds they will be ripped right off your face and on the ground. We also tell him no and he just laughs his little laugh and chuckles his little chuckle and it makes it so hard to discipline him. We do tell him no and pull him away from the situation. They say to put them in time out for a minute for every year they are. We need to do that more with him I guess. I am going to see if anyone posts good advice on your blog as I am at a loss as well. I know the signing has helped stop his crying and whining as he is able to communicate better with us. Let me know if you find something that works.

Adam, Jaci, Grant, Grace and Amelia said...

Girl!! You totally wrote a post for me...I have been dealing with the same thing. NOTHING seems to get through to Grace. She doesn't care if she gets put in the naughty spot, shut in her room, ignored, you name it...we've tried it. We've been trying it for a while to so I don't know when it will kick in. Let me know if you find anything that does work and I will let you know if I find anything that works. Thank goodness they are darn cute and so kissable, aren't they?!?!

Kele said...

Hmmm, not sure how I missed this post!!
Sorry sweet friend, I wish I had some advice for ya, but Presley isn't quiet as advanced (she's still too baby like), as Justin, so she isn't quiet at the stage of biting and hitting, altho I know it will happen eventually.
Naughty or not the stories are too cute, especially the fake cry LOL!!
LOVIN' his new trick though!

P.S. When you do figure out what to do, remember it so I can ask you what it is when Presley starts her naughty stage!!